OdySea Aquarium is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated person to join the Animal Health Department as the Animal Health Technician. This position is responsible for providing support to the Animal health department and OdySea Aquarium’s divers Animal Care Team and animal collection. Areas of concentration include exam preparation, case follow up, medical records, proper equipment operation & maintenance, inventory, and establishing standard operating procedures that emphasize current industry standards.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under general supervision, assists the veterinarian in the medical care of the animal collection including all species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates housed at the OdySea Aquarium.
- Works closely with the animal care staff and aquarists for medical updates, treatments and diagnostics.
- Assist in the maintenance of medical records, participating in quarantine procedures and preventative health programs.
- Proficiency in assisting with diagnostic testing.
- Establishes and implements standard operating procedures, stressing the highest quality of care in regard to animal care and health.
- Conducts chemical and cytological analyses of fluids and biological samples such as water, blood, feces and urine to determine normal or abnormal levels. Prepares biological specimens for shipment.
- Researches and investigates problems with clinical laboratory procedures and makes or recommends modifications and corrections as appropriate.
- Performs cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of surgical instruments, diagnostic equipment, and hospital/procedure areas.
- Dispenses and administers medications, treatments and vaccinations to animals as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Orients, mentors and teaches clinical diagnostic, treatment and laboratory methods. procedures and techniques to staff as appropriate.
- Supervises, evaluates and develops staff and ensures effective and ongoing medical training of staff.
- In conjunction with laboratory staff manages inventory for the laboratory and medical areas.
- Maintains personal and professional development.
- Maintains confidentiality of information received at all times.
- Maintains excellent cross functional team leadership and participation skills.
- Performs other related duties required by veterinarian to maintain and operate the Animal Health Department safely and efficiently.
- Willingness to work nights, holidays, weekends and long hours as demanded by the operation.
- Veterinary Technology/Technician degree from an AVMA accredited program preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years of veterinary technical experience, with at least 1-2 years of experience working with exotic/zoo/marine animals (aquatic animal experience preferred).
- Ability to independently perform complex, advanced clinical procedures with veterinarian oversight as needed.
- Knowledge of computer programs of basic word processing, spreadsheets, and internet database access.
- Ability to monitor and maintain quality control standards and follow standard operating procedures.
- Ability to analyze, verify and manipulate clinical and/or laboratory data to maintain accurate results.
- Ability to identify and evaluate clinical testing problems, and to provide corrective measures.
- Demonstrate a strong dedication to furthering one’s knowledge about the animal collection and overall operation.
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with a large, diverse group of employees, volunteers, etc.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug testing and background investigation.
- Allergies related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to work, must be controlled by medications or protective equipment.
- Ability to push/pull up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, as well as walk.
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb stairs, or crawl.
- Required to frequently talk and hear.
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement which might interfere with ability to work.
- Specific vision requirement for this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
- Must be able to take directional cues directly or indirectly.
- Ability to work in an environment that may be loud at times.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, including occasional extreme hot or cold, and wet and/or humid conditions.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must exemplify core fundamentals of the Employee Promise, which states:
- I am empowered to take ownership of any opportunity to exceed expectations.
- I anticipate guest needs and pay attention to the details.
- I treat all internal and external customers with respect.
- I am on stage! (Smile)
- I have an attitude of gratitude.
- I get it right the first time.
- I display actions that are moral and ethical.
- I always provide alternative solutions.
- I am committed to learning every aspect of our product and services.
- I use the 10/5 rule, 10 feet I acknowledge my guest’s presence with a smile and at 5 feet. I greet them with a courteous word.
- I use name recognition at every opportunity.
- I take personal responsibility for our surroundings.
- I am accountable for my tools and resources.
- I value the contribution of every team member.