Consistently exhibit excellent representation of the aquarium through a positive, energetic, and teamwork-focused work ethic.
Responsible for maintaining facility standards and expectations for the appearance and upkeep of assigned exhibits, associated life support systems, and the care of assigned animals. This position will be assigned to specific areas within the Aquarium and can also be called upon to assist in other areas.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Must be willing to consistently provide guest service above and beyond Mystic Aquarium’s expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Two years related experience and/or training, or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- Multi-lingual, Spanish preferred
- Working knowledge of the husbandry and welfare of fresh and saltwater fish and invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians
- Knowledge and skills with minor carpentry, plumbing, and painting
- SCUBA certification and ability to pass a dive physical.
- Flexible schedule and ability to work evenings/weekends/holidays/overtime as assigned.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Provide exceptional care to all assigned animals and exhibits including daily cleaning, water quality, maintenance, feeding, and health assessments.
- Maintain public display exhibits and back-of-house areas to the highest quality standards.
- Work with departmental leadership and veterinary teams to maintain high animal health standards including participation with procedures and necropsies.
- Maintain current up to date knowledge on biology, ecology, and husbandry of all animals being cared for.
- Participate in the construction and care of exhibit life support systems, including routine preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Participate in the development and implementation of husbandry procedures, techniques, and practices.
- Maintain appropriate written and computerized animal care records.
- Mentor assigned departmental volunteers or interns.
- Frequent scuba diving in varying conditions. May be called upon to participate in diving activities in any Aquarium habitat.
- Demonstrate positive customer service and teamwork with other departments and guests at Mystic Aquarium.
- Provide exhibit interpretation to ensure guest education and animal safety.
- Ensure all husbandry areas are kept clean, organized, and hazard free.
- Respond to emergency calls.
- Participate in Aquarium related education, PR, and membership programs including facility tours and exhibit interpretation.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.