The full time Aquarist - Float is responsible for the living specimens and life support systems required for their maintenance.
The mission of the Maritime Aquarium is to inspire people of all ages to appreciate the Long Island Sound, its ecosystem and the global environment through living exhibits, marine science and environmental education. For 35 years, the Aquarium has played a significant role in shaping the landscape of Norwalk and the region. The second largest family attraction in Connecticut, and 50 miles from New York City, the Aquarium hosts nearly 450,000 guests annually. Its primary exhibits take guests on a voyage from the shallow salt marshes and estuaries to the depths of the Long Island Sound and the ocean beyond, culminating with habitats for sharks and harbor seals. Altogether, the Aquarium is home to more than 7,000 animals and 310 species in 75 exhibits. A new 4D Theater offers a unique sensory film experience for guests. Its education programs introduce approximately 80,000 students, campers and scouts to marine and STEM education. The Aquarium is recognized as a top aquarium in the nation, and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is an active participant in the local and regional community. The strength of the Aquarium is its 65 full-time staff, and part-time and seasonal staff, in addition to our volunteers.
- Prefer four-year degree (B.S.) in marine biology, biology, zoology or related field OR
- A two-year degree (A.S./A.A.S.) in a relevant field plus a minimum of one year of marine fish and invertebrate husbandry experience, preferably with temperate species (may be any combination of paid work, internships, or volunteer service). Experience may be substituted for formal education.
- Basic knowledge of the operation and maintenance of aquarium and life support systems, including experience with water quality testing.
- General knowledge of laboratory equipment, procedures, and PPE.
- Strong command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Able to lift a minimum of 60 pounds
- Able to negotiate stairs, climb high obstacles and maneuver behind the scenes areas.
- Able to negotiate various field conditions.
- Able to work standing up for extended periods of time in wet, hot, cold and/or humid environment.
- Must be comfortable around a variety of animals.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- SCUBA certification and collection experience preferred.
- Able to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains all aquarium and related life support systems.
- Perform daily inspection of assigned exhibits to assess animal health and proper functioning of life support equipment.
- Provide care for freshwater and marine fish and invertebrates, including larval fish rearing
- Cross train in the care of all fish and invertebrates in the collection, rotate into different sections as needed
- Observe, identify and report unusual animal behavior to direct supervisor.
- Document and report possible diseases. Assist with veterinary care and provide medications as directed by veterinarian.
- Performs water quality analysis. Familiar with making necessary adjustments to water quality.
- Participates in the collection and transportation of animals from Long Island Sound and other locations for display.
- Documents and communicates observations as needed.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Be familiar with and ensure proper AZA protocols and safety guidelines are followed.
- Prepare and administer diets.
- Accepts and assists with large deliveries.
- Maintains a variety of collecting equipment.
- Excellent reliability, communication and observational skills.
- Proficiency in the use and operation of small hand tools in order to make minor repairs.
- Follow safety guidelines and report any safety concerns to direct supervisor.
- Completes other duties as assigned
- This position will require the individual to work weekends and holidays, and to travel for extended periods of time to perform collecting duties.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Excellent Benefits