Our Aquarist II will work with a diverse team of other Aquarists in the implementation and evaluation of husbandry for Ocean Voyager and will be responsible for implementing the daily operational requirements for the main habitat and all supporting systems. In addition, Aquarist IIs will work with the gallery team in achieving goals and participating in staff education, training, and safety plan, as well as meeting personal and team goals and objectives.
- Implements the zoological and exhibit goals and standards for the gallery of responsibility
- Implements the daily operational requirements of the staff , animals and gallery of responsibility
- Participates in training, development and review process for individual development and enrichment
- Work with the gallery team to maintain the highest quality staff and exhibits
- Interface effectively with other departments to maintain the highest quality standards
- Fosters working relationships with other institutions
- As needed, interact on behalf of the Georgia Aquarium with guests, media, general public, etc.
- Implement dive safety guidelines established by the dive safety officer
- To perform other duties as workload necessitates.
- Preferred, four year degree in biology or related field
- Three years of work experience in an AZA accredited institution, or equivalent, working with aquatic animals and associated husbandry and life support.
- Certified SCUBA Diver
- Georgia CDL , or the ability to obtain one
- Valid passport, or the ability to obtain one
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 100 feet. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. An employee must also have the ability to travel by car, boat and air as needed, physically use SCUBA equipment, conduct field work in the collection and research of animals, and maintain daily contact with a living collection of plants and animals.
I commit to the Georgia Aquarium, Inc. the following:
- Mission: Georgia Aquarium is a nonprofit committed to inspiring awareness and preservation of our ocean and aquatic animals worldwide.
- Vision: To be the Premier Aquarium in the World for Science, Entertainment, Education and Conservation.
- Values: Integrity, Innovation, Leadership, Teamwork, Respect, Excellence, Appreciation & Inclusion