Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is seeking an Aquarist to assist in day-to-day operations of our large Elasmobranch exhibit and various other exhibits and behind the scenes operations. These duties include daily monitoring of water chemistry, animal health, animal needs and exhibit cleanliness. This position reports directly to the Supervisor of the Aquarium.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to)
- This position is an aquarist that is responsible for a variety of saltwater exhibits located in the Scott Aquarium at the Omaha Zoo.
- Implements procedures and protocol for all areas of aquarium operations including, but not limited to, animal husbandry, aquarium maintenance, water quality analysis, life support systems, preventative tank maintenance, quarantine
- Animals: Implements procedures and protocol for quarantine procedures, monitoring of animal health, diet, and behavior.
- Follows protocols for record- keeping.
- Follows direction on fish disease treatment.
- Life Support Systems: Implements procedures and protocol for all aspects of maintaining water filtration equipment.
- Tests and tracks water quality to ensure all systems are maintained within established water quality parameters.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of Elasmobranch husbandry
- Knowledge of large closed filtration systems
- Knowledge of aquarium systems including life support systems for fish, animal husbandry, maintenance needs, and quarantine protocols for a large variety of saltwater species.
- Extensive knowledge of saltwater fishes and invertebrates
- Knowledge of water chemistry and biological processes
- SCUBA certification recommended
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work to be performed under normal office conditions, in saltwater aquarium, and within laboratory/fish quarantine setting.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to be on feet all day.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.