Demonstrate excellent representation of the aquarium at all times through a positive, can-do attitude and teamwork focused work ethic.
Responsible for executing routine animal care procedures, training, diet preparation, habitat maintenance, record keeping, public presentations, feedings, interactive programs and enrichment for marine mammal collection. Focus on belugas whales with daily assistance to outdoor pinniped collection.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Must be willing to consistently provide internal and external customer service above and beyond expectation.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline preferred.
- One year of paid professional experience with care and training of marine mammals or 2 years of equivalent experience.
- Cetacean experience required.
- Public presentation comfort and skill preferred.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills required.
- SCUBA certification and the ability to pass a dive physical required.
- Requires schedule flexibility, evenings/weekends/holidays, and overtime.
- Multi-lingual desired, Spanish preferred.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be a role model for interns and volunteers, demonstrating positive customer service and teamwork with other departments at MA.
- Assist in executing routine husbandry procedures to maintain federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
- Assist in executing daily training sessions and enrichment sessions to ensure all animals receive stimulation, exercise, variability, variety, and positive reinforcement in accordance with guidelines established by AMMPA, AZA, IMATA, and AH.
- Care for and maintain marine mammal collection and habitats.
- Keep proper records.
- Present public and classroom demonstrations educating public with approved institutional information.
- Perform regular scuba diving maintenance on habitats.
- Assist Senior trainers and Trainers with administrative tasks as assigned.
- Act as a mentor and role model for interns and volunteers.
- Assist with monitoring operation of life support systems and water quality.
- Maintain consistent professional attitude, motivation, and willingness to accept feedback.
- Develop training skills consistent with MA philosophy and procedures.
- Work in cold, hot, wet, indoor, and outdoor environments.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Work in a safe manner at all times.
- Properly use and keep, in good order, all personal protective equipment (PPE) supplied to them as protection from recognized hazards.
- Report any unsafe condition
- Must have a working knowledge of all Facility wide, and Department specific, safety procedures that relate to their position, including, but not limited to: Emergency Evacuation, Lockdown Procedure, and Fire Extinguisher Use.
- Sea Research Foundation, Inc. (dba Mystic Aquarium) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.