Demonstrate excellent representation of the aquarium at all times through a positive, can-do attitude and teamwork focused work ethic.
Responsible for overnight husbandry care of belugas, including monitoring, feeding, and other husbandry duties. There will be periodic opportunities to participate in routine operations of the day shift. Responsible for guest monitoring and interaction, habitat interpretation and public speaking, diet preparation, habitat maintenance, record keeping and assistance with animal procedures, and training sessions as requested.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Must be willing to consistently provide excellent internal and external customer service above and beyond expectation. The overnight shift coverage is 12 am to 8 am.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline preferred.
- One-year paid entry level experience with care and training of marine mammals, or equivalent 2 years of related experience.
- Experience with the rescue and rehabilitation of cetaceans preferred.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills required.
- Ability to pass a swim test required.
- SCUBA certification and ability to pass dive physical preferred.
- Requires schedule flexibility, as primary shift will be overnight and will include evenings/weekends/holidays and overtime, and willingness to shift between various marine mammal areas for support.
- Multi-lingual, Spanish speaking preferred.
- Public presentation experience and comfort
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist with the critical care and maintenance of marine mammals after hours, with focus on belugas.
- Execute routine husbandry procedures to maintain federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
- Foster strong internal customer service and teamwork.
- Keep proper records.
- Develop animal observation and training skills consistent with MA philosophy and procedures.
- Participate in planning and training of assigned animals.
- Maintain consistent professional attitude, motivation, and willingness to accept feedback.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions including cold, hot, wet, indoor and outdoor environments.
- Monitor operation of life support systems and water quality.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Monitor multiple animal habitats to ensure that guests follow all proper safety guidelines established by the institution
- Provide internal and external customer service and exceptional guest experience exceeding Mystic Aquarium’s target expectations
- Present public demonstrations on microphone while monitoring habitats to educate guests regarding safety and species natural history with approved Institutional information
- Maintain up to date knowledge of habitats, animal collection, programs and general aquarium information
- Ability and comfort responding to emergency procedures, including guests and animal emergencies following Mystic Aquarium’s institutional procedures
- Understand and utilize proper radio etiquette and communication
- Ensure cleanliness of facility and maintain safety for all guests
- Maintain consistent professional attitude, motivation, and willingness to accept feedback
- Work in a safe manner at all times.
- Properly use and keep, in good order, all personal protective equipment (PPE) supplied to them as protection from recognized hazards.
- Report any unsafe condition
- Must have a working knowledge of all Facility wide, and Department specific, safety procedures that relate to their position, including, but not limited to: Emergency Evacuation, Lockdown Procedure, and Fire Extinguisher Use.
- Sea Research Foundation, Inc. (dba Mystic Aquarium) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.