The Associate Veterinarian position is a full-time position including on-call rotational after-hours availability. This position contributes to and implements a comprehensive medical program, manages clinical medical cases, supports a medical records system, provides reports on the health of the animal collection, and helps implement the execution of the centennial commitment exhibit master plan. They manage communication and management of resources. This position represents the department on aquarium teams and professional associations to assure the high quality of animal care at Shedd Aquarium. This position is new and will add to a team comprised of 3 other staff veterinarians and a veterinary resident.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following as well as other duties as assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Demonstrate commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission, and values.
- Contribute to and implement a comprehensive preventive medical program for the care of the aquarium’s animal collection.
- Provide primary patient care of clinical medical cases including sample collection, diagnoses, treatments and follow up, both on-site and at the Center for Animal Care and Sustainability.
- Perform physical exams, surgeries, and sedation or general anesthesia of collection animals.
- Contribute to post-mortem examinations and assessments to identify areas for improvement of animal care.
- Work effectively with Animal Care Managers to review diets, quarantine, and preventive medicines protocols
- Support the execution of an accessible and organized medical records system (TRACKS)
- Participate in daily planning meetings, weekly rounds, monthly departmental and quarterly morbidity and mortality reviews.
- Provide timely communications and reports reflecting the health status of collection animals to Animal Care teams and other appropriate staff.
- Rotate on-call schedule every 3 weeks with associate, senior, and resident veterinarians
- With the other Associate Veterinarian, oversee Shedd Aquarium Animal Health’s 4th year veterinary preceptorship program by reviewing applications, scheduling students, mentoring students during their rotations, and completing required University assessments.
- Provide clinical mentorship to veterinary students, veterinary interns, veterinary residents, veterinary technician students, and any other temporary educational trainees in the department.
- With the other veterinarians, contribute to management of the Aquarium’s role in the Illinois Zoo and Aquatic Animal Residency (IZAAR) Program.
- Manage activities to assure good communication and responsible management of resources while providing a high level of service which includes strategic planning and financial management.
- Strategize and implement goals of Shedd’s Centennial Commitment and Experience Master Plan.
- Contribute to or oversee research projects in the Animal Health, Animal Care, or Conservation Research departments
- Represent the department on aquarium teams, and in professional associations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- DVM or VMD from an AVMA accredited university
- Post-doctoral training in an internship and/or residency program focused on zoological or aquatic animal medicine.
- Prefer a minimum of two years’ experience in aquatic animal medicine.
- License to practice veterinary medicine within the state of Illinois (or ability to obtain one within 6 months of hiring)
- USDA/APHIS accreditation type II required
- ACZM board certification preferred
- DEA license preferred
- SCUBA certification preferred