The CFO is responsible for directing the fiscal functions of the corporation in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board, and other regulatory and advisory organizations and in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the industry.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting (MAcc), Master of Business Administration (MBA), or equivalent business experience with financial executive leadership
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in executive financial management
- Experience in large Non-profit organization including Zoo, Aquarium, Museum, etc. desired.
- Experience in partnering closely with an Executive team and Board of Directors
- High level of articulate written and oral communication skills
- Financial Management
- Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency
- Ethical Conduct
- Performance Management
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Capacity
- Supervise Accounting/Finance, HR and IT staff
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's fiscal function and performance.
- Participate in the development of the corporation's plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action.
- Develop credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the CEO, the Board and other senior executives in performing their responsibilities.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation
- Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the Board as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Oversee the annual financial audit of outside CPA firm, and related Federal Form 990 tax filing
- Provide fiduciary leadership in organization’s 401k plan. Conduct annual trustee meeting, comply with ERISA, ensure compliance with participant disclosure requirements, organizational census reporting, file annual Federal Form 5500.
- Oversee all annual insurance policies and renewals with outside broker. Maintain proper coverage at all times for organization to ensure effective risk management. Provide leadership to HR team and outside benefit broker during annual employee benefit renewals.
- Coordinate with HR department to develop competitive compensation management policy and structure. Monitor overall compensation plan, including performance management scoring analysis, and incorporate detailed payroll and benefits into the annual budget. Provide analysis and recommendations to executive team on a regular basis. Calculate and administer holiday and performance bonus awards. Approve all compensation increases.
- Participate directly in recruiting, selection and onboarding of key employees.
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline. Develop effective analytics via business intelligence (BI) and artificial intelligence (AI) to improve enhance business efficiencies and operational outcomes.
- Continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department directors on financial issues impacting department budgets.
- Ensure all business related registrations are current and in good standing including business licensing, corporate entity registration, DBA registration(s), charitable solicitations permit, sam.gov registration, etc.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization; i.e., evaluation of potential alliances acquisitions and/or mergers and pension funds and investments.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position. Develop strong relationships with bankers and ensure that the organization is optimizing its financial position through reduced fees and competitive deposit rates. Monitor performance of banks and continually explore new relationships. Directly negotiate with bankers on behalf of the organization.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Monitor Long-term Investment and Endowment funds, and ensure compliance with organization’s investment policy.
- Present financial reporting during all quarterly board meetings, coordinate and participate in all finance committee or other ad hoc meetings, assist with meeting minutes, and maintain all corporate records of meetings. Administer the organization’s Conflict of Interest policy and the annual disclosure forms for officers, directors and key employees.
- Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contracts into which the corporation may enter. Evaluate contracts and agreements and provide direction through appropriate understanding of business law. Coordinate with legal counsel and represent the organization during legal issues.
- Oversee detailed monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts and related review of income statement accounts.
- Competence in fixed asset management and depreciation. Properly account for all capital improvement projects including budgeting and accounting for major construction projects.
- Ensure compliance in all corporate purchasing programs, including training and enforcement of company policies, with respect to vendor accounts, accounts payable, corporate credit cards, W-9 administration, tax-exemption certificates and purchase order.
- Act as an approver of all purchases orders in excess of dollar thresholds, and approve weekly check runs.
- Review and approve all significant charitable donations and grants for compliance with intent and mission. Administer tax acknowledgment and ensure proper accounting treatment of restricted donations and multi-year pledges.
- Oversee compliance with corporate donor and sponsor acknowledgments including tax acknowledgment letters, sponsor benefit compliance and issuance of complementary day pass and annual membership awards.
- Maintain accurate accounting of monthly third party concessionaire revenue sharing and billing. Review contract amendments and renewals. Participate in RFP design, distribution and review as needed. Periodically examine concessionaire detailed records to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Develop a highly trained staff and establish cross-training programs to promote advancement opportunities and career growth among team members.
- Develop and maintain corporate policy and procedures. Ensure an effective system is in place to keep policies current and enforced.
- Evaluate the accounting and finance department structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
- Present in a professional manner appropriate to position including dress, grooming and leadership demeanor. Communicate articulately on behalf of the organization as a key leader, including public speaking opportunities.
Physical Demands of the Job:
- Work outside of regular business hours including on weekends and holidays will be required on occasion
- You will be working in an office environment with periodic mobility, extended computer use, occasional exposure to animals, and to outdoor elements.