Mote’s Education Department develops and delivers high quality education programs to translate and transfer Mote’s world class research using best practices and technology to reach diverse and global audiences. We inspire active involvement in environmental stewardship, foster learning in future generations, and continue to seek out opportunities to improve and expand our programs and ourselves.
- The Community Engagement Coordinator will develop, coordinate, instruct, and evaluate educational programs at Mote Marine Laboratory campuses and within the community.
- They will work closely with staff, volunteers, and interns in the Education Department and throughout the Lab and Aquarium to ensure that our mission and the needs of our audiences are being met.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Mote’s research, local marine habitats, and best practices in informal science education.
- Work collaboratively with other Mote staff on program development to facilitate the translation and transference of scientific information to a variety of audiences.
- Implement effective, high energy, developmentally appropriate and non-discriminatory experiences that are aligned with Mote’s mission (and standards as applicable).
- Provide an enhanced participant experience through positive interactions and engaging activities.
- Create a safe, inclusive, and rewarding program for every participant.
- Prioritize customer service and consistently demonstrate a positive and welcoming demeanor in interactions with guests, participants, staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Understand, abide by, and ensure enforcement of Mote’s and the Department’s policies, safety procedures, and animal safety protocols.
- Possess knowledge and ability to work within Mote’s registration systems and technology databases.
- Possess the ability to oversee teams of staff/interns/volunteers during programs with a positive attitude and strong leadership skills.
- The Community Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for bringing Mote’s research to the community with a strong focus on reaching underserved and underrepresented audiences.
- This position will be responsible for coordinating programs including (but not limited to): community outreach programs for audiences of all ages, community booth events, onsite community partner visits (including classroom and field components), and other youth programs.
- The specific responsibilities include: Coordinate program logistics including scheduling, materials procurement and other duties to ensure successful programs.
- Curriculum development: develop and lead pedagogically appropriate and engaging education programs based on Mote’s expanding research programs and local marine environments that enhance ocean literacy and incorporate consistent conservation messages.
- Lead hands-on educational on-site classroom/lab/field programs; outreach programs; programs based at Mote field stations around Florida.
- Maintain open communication with existing partner organizations in the community.
- Research and establish new community partnerships that align with Mote’s mission.
- Provide high quality group management to groups of participants of varying ages.
- Provide direction/mentorship to Education Specialists, interns, and volunteers.
- Prepare, organize, and maintain current educational resources with innovative ideas for future uses, working within the determined budgetary guidelines.
- Provide outstanding customer service to our guests and community partners.
- Assist with Education animal care and exhibit maintenance.
- Participate in Aquarium docent shifts as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Management.
- The Community Engagement Coordinator will work full time with a schedule determined by their supervisor.
- Schedule will vary and will include evening and weekend hours.
- Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science, or related field or equivalent experience.
- 2 years’ experience in informal science education program coordination, development, and delivery.
- Experience demonstrating the ability to: o Coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- o Oversee seasonal staff, volunteers and/or interns.
- o Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- o Follow departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
- o Work occasional longer hours at outdoor locations in hot/cold/wet weather, high humidity, intense sunlight while responsible for students and/or adults.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and/or Google Suite required; experience with spreadsheets and CRM or registration systems a bonus.
- Certifications required: CPR/First Aid, Lifeguard & EpiPen (may be acquired within 3 months of hire date)
- Ability to carry/move heavy objects up to 40 lbs occasionally and lead rigorous outdoor activities such as nature walks and kayaking programs.
- Florida driver’s license (or eligibility to obtain one upon arrival) with clean driving record and at least 5 years of driving experience.
- Reliable transportation and the ability to arrive at (off-site) locations on time.
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate for the work.
- Core Competencies and Characteristics Our ideal candidate is an honest, passionate, and professional educator with an extremely high work ethic and a contagious, positive energy.
- They need to be a dynamic presenter, a diligent innovator, a natural leader, and an enthusiastic collaborator and networker who believes deeply in Mote and its mission.
- Supervisory Responsibilities The Community Engagement Coordinator will assist with the training, supervision and evaluation of Education Specialists, college interns, high school student interns, and volunteers during programs. Hiring Conditions The hiring of a successful candidate for this position is conditional on a background check within three months of starting.