Under the direction of the Guest Engagement Program Coordinator this position participates in the planning, development, and implementation of programs for youth and families. Examples include Zoo Explorers Summer and Winter day camps (ages 4-14), overnight Zoo Snooze experiences (primarily youth groups with chaperones), and other on-site programming for youth in group settings. The person in this position will also be responsible for some day-to-day operations of these programs including program instruction. The Youth Program Specialist is part of the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium’s Conservation Engagement Department and works within a collaborative team including program instructors, volunteers and other members of the department and organization.
- Experience working with school aged youth in an informal or formal education setting.
- Background and/or solid base of knowledge and understanding of natural systems.
- Ability to lead groups of children throughout the entire zoo grounds and Point Defiance Park gardens, forest, and marine areas.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changes in program plans and schedules.
- Detail oriented, and able to manage multiple projects while meeting deadlines.
- This position is classified as Part-Time 35 hours/week throughout the year. Some medical benefits and PTO are included.
- Positive work culture and wonderful community!
- $20.39 - $22.53 hourly