Shedd Aquarium is seeking a full-time Financial and Budget Analyst to join the Finance team. Reporting to the Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Financial Analyst acts as an internal consultant and collaborates with departments across the institution to develop financial plans and models, produce cost-benefit and what-if scenarios, ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, make policy recommendations based on financial and operating data and analyze and report on data to various audiences. Responsibilities include assisting with the annual budgeting process, financial forecasting, variance analysis, attendance tracking and reporting, report development, and financial modeling. The successful candidate will be able to work with teams across the organization, as well as independently.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Assist with the preparation of operating, capital, and strategic plan budgets, including supporting schedules and explanations and reconciling discrepancies between budget and actuals.
- Work with departments throughout the Aquarium as needed to create, analyze, and make recommendations on budgets and forecasts.
- Analyze financial data and report insights and recommendations to support decision-making throughout the Aquarium.
- Demonstrate analytical and conceptual thinking skills when approaching projects or reviewing information.
- Calculate, analyze, and report monthly attendance data for the Aquarium.
- Draft quarterly financial reports for the Board of Trustees.
- Work with individual departments and develop reports in the Accounting software to assist with expense and revenue monitoring.
- Manage the credit card program for the Aquarium, ensuring compliance with spending plans and budgets.
- Work closely with the Development and programmatic departments to oversee the development of budgets and interim and final reports for grants.
- Synthesize and analyze actual and budgeted data and develop easily understandable, accessible, and accurate materials including spreadsheets, memos, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Assist with updating multi-year operating and capital budgets.
- Work closely with all accounting functions to understand daily and monthly processes and provide support as needed.
- Assist with ad-hoc financial analysis and projects as needed.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in accounting, business, finance, or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in financial analysis, budget management, and modeling.
- High level of computer proficiency required, including advanced experience with computerized accounting systems and Microsoft Office.
- Adept at advanced financial analysis techniques using spreadsheet software, tracking budget expenses, financial planning, reporting research results, forecasting, and analyzing information.
- Strong organization, program management, and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple activities to meet deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal/communication skills. Ability to build relationships with external and internal partners and communicate effectively (written/oral).
- Highly detailed with demonstrated ability to handle large amounts of data and priorities.
- We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply.
- Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
- If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).