Aquarium of The Pacific
Each year approximately 1.7 million people visit the Aquarium, making it consistently one of the leading attractions in the Southern California region. Beyond its world-class animal exhibits, the Aquarium offers educational programs for people of all ages from hands-on activities to lectures by leading scientists. Through these programs and a variety of multimedia experiences, the Aquarium provides opportunities to delve deeper into ocean science and learn more about our planet.
Grants and Compliance Coordinator
Minimum starting pay for this role is $64,480.00 annually. Additional consideration will be given, depending on relevant qualifications and experience.
The Grants and Compliance Coordinator will provide full support to the Corporate and Foundation Relations team who oversee philanthropic partnerships with foundation, corporate, and government donors. This position is responsible for oversight and facilitation of pre-award to post-award administration over the life cycle of external grants (primarily government grants and contracts). The position provides support to program leads and the finance department regarding allowability and allocability of grant-funded programmatic needs. This position may perform a range of other duties, as needed, such as prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of foundation and corporate funders.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage solicitations to government sources.
- Works with the Corporate and Foundation Relations Director to refine and continuously improve internal processes and procedures for proposal submission and management.
- Performs research on prospective government funding opportunities.
- Works with other departments to coordinate program/project funding priorities and needs.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively to provide seamless support to program leads including budgeting of grant-funded projects and communication of all grant terms and conditions.
- Works with program leads to gather information necessary to report to grantors on current grant-funded programs and ensures compliance with all grant reporting.
- Reviews and approves expenditures to ensure appropriate spending on grants, including cost sharing and administrative expenses throughout the project lifecycle to ensure compliance.
- Submits reimbursement billings to appropriate contacts or channels at each granting agency and maintains correspondence with grantor contacts.
- Maintains current records in donor database (Raisers Edge), including grant tracking, reporting, and actions.
- Assist with donor site visits, tours, and events.
- Assist with other projects as requested.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Extraordinary organizational skills.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- Excellent computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office programs, Sage Intacct and knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge 7 database preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable federal regulations, grants management, and OMB cost accounting standards. (The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) final guidance on Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance) has streamlined and consolidated grant requirements. The Uniform Guidance can be found at 2 C.F.R. part 200.)
- Ability to monitor and meet income and other defined metrics set for this position.
- Ability to balance “big picture” thinking with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve complex logical problems, and critically evaluate information for accuracy and usefulness in solving problems.
- Ability to analyze and report on Actual vs Budget variances.
- General understanding of Accounting and Finance concepts.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience of related experience, especially with government grants and contracts
- Experience working in deadline driven environments.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, twist
- Ability to lift and carry up to 0-25lbs
- Ability to pull and push up to 0-25lbs
- Full functional range of motion in all major body joints from reaching, twisting, bending, simple and power gripping, fine and gross motor skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Normal office working conditions
- Noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate
- Wet, dirty, uneven surfaces and walkways
- Exposure to variations in temperature, humidity, or wetness
Interested & Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below. You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Hire Select:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete two assessments.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. If you are among the most qualified applicants, we will contact you within two to three weeks. If you do not hear from us within that time, feel free to reapply in the future as other opportunities arise.
Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific!
Aquarium of the Pacific is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff.