Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is seeking a Great Apes Zoo Keeper to assist in all necessary animal care, training, management and husbandry work associated with the animals in this department. Keeper personnel also assist with some mechanical repair and maintenance work associated with the buildings support systems (air handling, plumbing, etc.). Keepers are fully responsible for cleaning all off-exhibit areas and will also be expected to assist with the cleaning of areas visible to the public. Keepers must possess the ability to lift seventy pounds. Everyone is expected to assist other zoo departments, whenever requested. This position reports directly to the Great Apes Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Cleaning: Public and non-public areas associated with the department.
- Animal Care and Husbandry: Assist in all aspects of animal care and husbandry for the animals associated with the department.
- Animal Training: Assist with the maintenance of currently established training programs while also developing personal animal training skills which will allow for the possibility of introducing training practices to additional animals.
- Animal Enrichment: Participate in the daily enrichment of animals in the collection using the Life Strategies approach developed for the zoo. Assist with the development of new enrichment projects for the department.
- Horticultural: Assist with the maintenance (planting, trimming, watering, mowing, etc.) of all plant-life associated with the department and the exhibits.
- Building Maintenance: Assist in the monitoring, repair, and modifications of any system which supports the operation of any building associated with the department.
- Department and Animal Management: Contribute towards department planning, offering suggestions intended to improve upon current procedures.
- Safety: Continually perform within a manner which supports a safe working environment.
- Communication: Willingness to provide and be open with information to co-workers, other departments, and staff to ensure everyone is continually informed.
- Record Systems: Assist with animal training records, enrichment documents, department report sheets, and daily operational check-lists.
- General Zoo Operation: Assist with activities in other zoo departments, as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- The ability to work independently, when familiar with operational procedures.
- The ability to work cooperatively with co-workers, other departments, and management.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of animal training.
- The ability or willingness to develop public speaking skills.
- The ability to develop operational skills with all the equipment and tools utilized by zoo personnel.
- Those with some level of undergraduate study work are preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- The working environment will include both inside and outside activities.
- The ability to lift 70 lbs is required.
- This department manages dangerous animals. Working conditions remain safe, as all personnel are required to follow operational procedures, which have been developed to ensure a safe work environment.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- A current state driver’s license is required
- Applicant must have a Tuberculosis Test completed prior to employment.
- The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification.
- It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.