OdySea Aquarium is looking for an energetic, dedicated person to join the Animal Health Department. The Laboratory Technician will play an integral part in the operation of the onsite Animal Health Laboratory and provide support to the Animal health department, Animal Care Team, and animal collection. Areas of concentration include biological sample analysis, water quality analysis, proper equipment operation and maintenance, inventory, and establishing standard operating procedures that emphasize current industry standards.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the organization, cleanliness, and day-to-day operation of the onsite laboratory,
- Perform analysis in Hematology, Cytology, Microbiology, Mycology, Parasitology, and Urinalysis from a wide variety of animal species.
- Perform water quality analysis for the entire aquarium.
- Prepare, process, label, transport, and ship clinical and research samples.
- Organization and stocking of laboratory inventory.
- Timely reporting of diagnostic results to the veterinarian and maintaining animal records.
- Maintain and perform quality control on laboratory and pharmacy equipment.
- Assist in establishing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures as it relates to water quality laboratory operation, stressing industry standards.
- Investigate any problems with laboratory equipment and correct or make recommendations to correct the issue as appropriate.
- Assists the Veterinarian and Animal Health Technicians in the medical care of the animal collection, including all species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates housed at the OdySea Aquarium.
- Assists in personnel training of laboratory methods, procedures, and techniques to staff as appropriate.
- Assist with clinical research as necessary.
- Dispense vitamins, pharmaceuticals, and other supplies for daily use.
- Maintains the highest degree of confidentiality of information always received.
- Maintains a current knowledge of animal health and laboratory standards and practices.
- Maintains the highest level of professionalism and respect when dealing with other staff members, guests, and regulatory representatives.
- Performs other related duties required by a veterinarian to maintain and operate the Animal Health Department safely and efficiently.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- A bachelor’s or associate degree in science, medical technology, or veterinary technology is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of laboratory technical experience, with at least 1-2 years of experience working in an exotic/zoo/aquarium setting (aquatic animal experience preferred).
- Ability to independently perform routine and complex laboratory procedures with minimal oversight.
- Knowledge and experience analyzing biological samples including:
- Processing blood, cultures, and cytology for out-lab analysis.
- Processing and running blood for PCV, Total Solids, chemistry analysis using Abaxis equipment, Natt-Herricks and slide estimate white blood cell counts, and WBC differentials mammal, avian, reptile, and fish blood.
- Read cytology samples on a microscope.
- Perform fecal float, direct, and cytology samples.
- Perform and read skin scrapes, gill clips, and fin clips on fish.
- Microbiology culture and identification (preferred)
- Knowledge of routine and advanced water quality procedures is highly beneficial.
- Ability to monitor and maintain quality control standards and follow standard operating procedures.
- Ability to analyze and verify clinical and/or laboratory data to maintain accurate results.
- Ability to identify and evaluate laboratory problems and to provide corrective measures.
- Knowledge of computer programs of basic word processing, spreadsheets, and internet database access.
- Willingness to work at least 40 hours per week, including nights, holidays, weekends, and long hours as demanded by the operation.
- Demonstrate a strong dedication to furthering one’s knowledge about animal collection and overall laboratory operations.
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with a large, diverse group of employees, volunteers, etc.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug testing and background investigation.
- Allergies related to animals or plants, which might interfere with the ability to work, must be controlled by medications or protective equipment.
- Ability to push/pull up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods, as well as walk.
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb stairs, or crawl.
- Required to frequently talk and hear.
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance, and agility of movement, which might interfere with the ability to work.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
- Must be able to take directional cues directly or indirectly.
- Ability to work in an environment that may be loud at times.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, including occasional extreme hot or cold and wet and/or humid conditions.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Must exemplify the core fundamentals of the Employee Promise, which states:
- I am empowered to take ownership of any opportunity to exceed expectations.
- I anticipate guest needs and pay attention to the details.
- I treat all internal and external customers with respect.
- I am on stage! (Smile)
- I have an attitude of gratitude.
- I get it right the first time.
- I display actions that are moral and ethical.
- I always provide alternative solutions.
- I am committed to learning every aspect of our product and services.
- I use the 10/5 rule, at 10 feet I acknowledge my guest’s presence with a smile, and at 5 feet. I greet them with a courteous word.
- I use name recognition at every opportunity.
- I take personal responsibility for our surroundings.
- I am accountable for my tools and resources.
- I value the contribution of every team member.
We believe a culture built on inclusion and diversity becomes the driving force for our success. We believe our team members bring varied thoughts and ideas from their personal life experiences and cultural backgrounds, making us innovative and forward-thinking.