WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
The Life Support Systems (LSS) Manager is a technical, safety-sensitive, and essential position responsible for the safe operation, monitoring, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of NYA ‘s fresh-water and seawater systems and other related work as required. This position manages union LSS maintainers and is expected to ensure high quality work in support of NYA’s mission to provide uninterrupted and optimal life support conditions for the living collection and excellent water clarity for the visitor experience.
- Manage the operation and maintenance of NYA ‘s life support systems, as well as long-term actions required for consistently achieving top water quality and clarity. Collaborates with the Director of Facilities and the Director of Plant Engineering in planning and implementing the operating budget and capital projects related to life support.
- Coordinate with the staffs of water quality, animal, and veterinary to achieve and maintain water quality, clarity, and thermal requirements for freshwater and saltwater systems; develop and enforce protocols for the collection of data on such parameters as temperature, pressure, water level, flow, ORP, pH, ozone, and equipment hours of operation; use water quality data to make adjustments in the various components of the life support systems to maintain required operating ranges.
- Maintain a facility-wide Preventative Maintenance Program for LSS and oversees the maintenance of records on all LSS mechanical systems.
- Supervise adjustments to manual and automatic control systems to bring them into recommended or prescribed operating ranges; supervises transfer to backup systems during planned and unplanned equipment shutdowns.
- Inspect equipment at regular intervals to prevent and/ or detect malfunctions or need for repair, adjustment, or maintenance work. Ensures that prescribed maintenance, adjustments, and/ or repairs are made in a timely and proactive manner.
- Provide training to personnel on all aspects related to operations and maintenance of LSS.
- Perform related tasks and duties as required.
- Minimum of (5) years experience operating and maintaining large marine LSS and extensive understanding of water chemistry, as well as a demonstrated expertise in analyzing LSS operations and determining proper actions required for achieving optimal quality and clarity.
- Knowledge of safety rules and procedures applicable to the position and occupational hazards and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of major water process filtration components and their application.
- Knowledge of reciprocating compressors, centrifugal compressors, ozone generators, and centrifugal pumps.
- Knowledge of hydraulic systems as they relate to water process, particularly for aquaculture and aquarium systems.
- Knowledge of plumbing practices, materials, and tools as they relate to trade.
- Knowledge of water quality testing as it relates to water process and purification systems, aquaculture systems, or aquarium systems.
- Knowledge of basic electrical theory, electrical components, and their application.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and procedures for mechanical electrical and electronic equipment for water process equipment.
- Knowledge of basic refrigeration equipment as it relates to the trade.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to respond to various emergencies outside of normal business hours and within a reasonable timeframe; this position is safety sensitive and essential.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
- Valid New York, New Jersey or Connecticut driver’s license.
- Preferred Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- AALSO certification or ability to obtain AALSO Level 1 certification within (1) year of hire, Level 2 within (3) years of hire, and Level 3 within (5) years of hire
WCS is an equal opportunity employer, and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and engaging a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates.The organization does not discriminate for employment based on gender, race/ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, caste, genetic information or any other covered status or characteristic protected by laws and regulations/and similar categories. It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based upon a person’s membership in one of these protected categories in areas such as recruitment, selection, job assignment, supervision, training, promotions, job grading, transfers, termination, compensation, benefits, educational opportunities, WCS sponsored recreational activities and facilities. The organization complies with the spirit and intent of relevant local laws and WCS’s employment policies.
The listed salary range serves as a guide and the salary offered within that range to the candidate selected will be based on experience and qualifications.
15 Vacation, 13 Holidays, 12 Paid-Time-Off Days, Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension, 12 weeks of Paid Parental Leave and much more