About Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS):
WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
To perform work in the maintenance of zoo buildings. equipment, and grounds
- Perform general maintenance, repair, renovation and alteration of buildings, offices, exhibits, enclosures, paths, benches, sidewalks, equipment, structures, roofs, gutters, and other facilities and specialized work, shopwork, metal, cement, woodwork, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and stonework utilizing all skills necessary to complete such assignments.
- Troubleshoot problems involving electrical, structural, plumbing, and equipment repair or replacement.
- Perform preventive building maintenance duties.
- Prepare reports on work performed and materials used as required;
- May operate a vehicle or other equipment (e.g. fork lift, tractor, bobcat) in performance of work.
- Clean and fulfill checks required for vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Grease vehicles and equipment and supply oil, gasoline and other additives as required by supervisor.
- May perform ground maintenance work as required.
- Enforce the Society’s visitors’ rules and regulations and those of the Department of Parks of the City of New York;
- Perform related tasks and duties as required.
Qualification Requirements :
- Must successfully pass a background check.
- Valid current driver’s license (preferred).
- Knowledge of a variety of building maintenance procedures and techniques; knowledge of machinery, equipment, and tools necessary for the maintenance and repair of public buildings; knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions; skill in reading and following assembly instructions; skills in following safety practices and recognizing hazards;skill in using hand and power tools.
- Ability to represent WCS in a professional manner and to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with employees, colleagues, City and other government agencies, outside contractors, and the general public.
- The position requires outdoor work in all weather conditions. Tasks require manual dexterity and ability to safely use tools (e.g. hand tools, table saws, etc.) and operate equipment (e.g. tractor, forklift, etc.). Some tasks require climbing, kneeling, bending, navigating uneven terrain, and moderate lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, holidays, evenings and special events as the schedule demands. Ability to respond to emergencies as required.
- WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
- 2+ years
- Benefits & Paid holidays