New England Aquarium is seeking an experienced Mechanical Operator to join the Facilities Team and contribute to the operations and oversight of the vast mechanical systems that keep the animal collection safe and the facilities operating at peak performance.
The Mechanical Systems Operator safely operates and maintains the facilities' major life support and building comfort equipment and collaborates with the Facilities team to provide a high level of service to the organization. This position is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 32BJ, District 615.
This is a full-time, regular position scheduled five days per week, from the hours of 4:00 pm – 12:00 am, and will include either a Saturday or Sunday evening. Willingness to work overtime as needed, preferred.
- Stands watch in designated machinery areas. Conducts a roving round of campus facilities. Observes instruments, records readings, and maintains an activities log.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance duties including cleaning equipment, making mechanical adjustments, moving equipment and supplies, and manipulating valves and switches.
- Comfortable working at height, on ladders, and in confined areas from the basement to the roof and at times outside, exposed to the weather.
- Operates major life support equipment occasionally in tight quarters.
- Responds to equipment alarms and takes corrective action in a timely manner.
- Commonly is the only Aquarium employee on-site overnight and, as such, typically acts as the Aquarium liaison to police and fire departments, as well as liaison with husbandry department personnel when s/he recognizes emerging problems in a husbandry area (i.e. escaped animal or flooding tank).
- Assists other trades when required (electrical, plumbing, mechanical, painting, carpentry).
- Assists Husbandry staff with animal moves, equipment maintenance, animal observations and other support activities when required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Minimum Training and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of three years of related experience is required.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to provide excellent service to internal customers.
- Organized and able to plan projects and execute them in a timely fashion.
- Ability to push, pull, lift and carry up to 59 pounds. Occasionally 100 lbs. or more with assistance.
- *Please note candidates for this position must submit to a pre-employment driving record check.
New England Aquarium is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC. Here we foster a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion. We strive to engage and inspire a broad audience with our efforts to protect the blue planet, and we believe a diverse workforce provides experiences, skills, and perspectives that enrich our programs, strengthen problem-solving, add creativity, and enhance our work environment.
3 years of related experience