Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
Manager of AV Technology
- It is the goal of the Manager of AV Technology to provide a positive guest experience by ensuring the many Audio Visual (AV) displays, experiences, and systems are in top working order during their visit through the exhibit galleries.
- The Manger of AV Technology shall also provide stellar AV Services and support as required to both internal and external team members and business partners.
- The Manager of AV Technology shall manage the maintenance and upkeep of all guest facing AV systems and components in all aquarium exhibit installations, 4D Theater, and ACRC (Animal Care and Rescue Center).
- Competent management of the maintenance and repair of all back-end systems are also required such as portable AV systems and equipment to support meetings and special events.
- The Manager of AV Technology shall give direct supervision to the AV Technology Specialist and Senior AV Technology Specialist team members, maintaining 7 day/week front line coverage of exhibit system maintenance and operation.
- Lead and guide AV Technology Specialists for tech support of business meetings, lectures/special events, and high-profile aquarium related conferences and symposiums.
- The Manager will also lead, and be the primary mentor for, student interns who are provided by meaningful organizations such as The Urban Alliance and Building Steps.
- Act as front line go-to person for guest engagement, guest services and events operation. Is part of the “Manager on Duty” (MOD) rotation in partnership with the Guest Services team to resolve guest issues on designated days.
- Management of Exhibit Gallery Displays, Interactives, live audio presentations, diver communication system, video walls, (Brightsign) digital messaging components, and other high end AV equipment and systems
- Technical knowledge to perform primary level of technical support for all audio-visual related exhibits, administered through rounds performed twice daily as scheduled.
- Familiarity of technical components and devices comprising NAI’s interactive exhibits and audio-visual exhibit systems, including computers, microelectronics, electronic, and electro-mechanical devices.
- Upkeep of comprehensive technical instruction manuals, maintenance logs, warranty information and all other related documentation for reference use by Audio Visual Technology section staff.
- Maintain an organized, clean, and well stocked technical/maintenance shop used for in-house service and repairs. Internal and External team and Business Partner support. Meetings and special events including weekends and after hours.
- Provide a positive, friendly, and professionally congenial attitude to requesting support staff and attendees of meetings and special events where tech support is required.
- Determine, advise, and guide AV tech team to use appropriate AV equipment and systems, best practices for setup, operation, and breakdown, and guidance on any foreseeable technical issues.
- Administer the AV Technology request forms that route through Aquarium Salesforce system and insure timely concise, and friendly communication securing the scheduling detail.
- Contact and work with outside technical contractors.
- Daily contact with staff of all levels (front line to Sr. Management) is part of the daily function of this position.
- Daily contact mentoring and guiding team of AV Technology Specialists.
- Must be able to listen, comprehend and communicate in a helpful and non-confrontational manner in this diverse environment.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of professionalism and control in a results-oriented work environment.
- Self-motivated, team player, action and results oriented.
- Mentor student interns from youth programs such as Urban Alliance and Building Steps.
- Accountable for managing the AV Technology technical team and implementing defined goals.
- Accepts responsibility and consequences for work performance and conduct.
- Sets priorities, overcomes obstacles and opposition, and uses organizational skills to get things done in a timely manner.
- Manages the AV Technology staff and coordinates team resources throughout the National Aquarium.
- Attends Aquarium management seminars or other offerings as required.
- Encourages and informs AV Technology team members by “carrying the flag.”
- Problem Solving: Advanced problems solving skills for AV system equipment, operation, and end-user requirements.
- Flexibility/Adaptability: Ability to adjust, while maintaining effectiveness, during major changes in assignments, tasks, or the environment.
- Responds immediately to technical crises that affect the operation, even during weekends if critical in nature.
- Competent to pursue innovative technologies for exhibit refurbishment or replacement application.
- Research or learn from colleagues, periodicals, and expositions. Stay abreast of changing industry exhibit and audio-visual standards.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of Audio-Visual equipment operation and maintenance or similar experience required.
- Excellent computer skills, to include Microsoft Office Working knowledge of current innovative audio-visual technologies and applications.
- Expert knowledge in operations and management to foster a customer service centric culture, as well as, a culture of learning, sharing, cooperation, and teamwork that serves to organize repeatable processes to improve efficiency throughout the organization.
- Must have excellent organization skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize multiple projects and work requests, often against tight deadlines.
- Excellent judgment and professionalism; must be comfortable building and maintaining relationships with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, under pressure and have the ability to address issues that arise on-site with ease. Flexibility to adapt schedules to meet operational needs on minimal notice.
- Certified Technology Specialist (CTS) certification or similar.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(K) match and More!