The O&M Specialist II assists departmental colleagues with the maintenance and operation of base building and life support systems or other building machinery and equipment as assigned. Performs water transfers, mixing salt, and backwashing of life support filters. Performs the shift duties of the other operators when needed, as assigned, which may include temporary placement on a shift schedule, to accommodate vacations and other absences. There is one first shift position available (Tues - Sat 7AM - 3PM) and one second shift available (3PM - 11PM, days TBD).
Duties & Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrates commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission and values
- Cultivates and maintains a positive working environment.
- Complies with departmental policy for the safe storage, usage and disposal of hazardous materials and a safe working environment.
- Prepares and submits purchase order requests.
- Maintains a clean and safe workspace.
- Returns tools to the workshop and unused supplies to store room; reports any impending supply or material shortages to the Maintenance Supervisor and advising the Maintenance Supervisor of any equipment problems.
- Maintains and operates base building and life support systems.
- Repairs, replaces, and installs base building and life support systems
- Supports special events, meetings, setup
- Assists with repair of piping, valves, filters, hot water systems and associated controls.
- Assists other mechanics and operators with major repairs and maintenance of building and equipment and other building machinery and equipment.
- Assists with the maintenance and operation of base building and life support systems or other building machinery and equipment as assigned.
- Monitors, operates and maintains base building and life support systems or all other systems and related machinery supporting efficient building operations, including, but not limited to; refrigeration, HVAC, boilers, ventilation, hot water equipment, pumps, valves, piping filters and other mechanical and electrical equipment
- Performs analysis of life support and base building systems and equipment on a scheduled basis, which includes water sampling, back washing, water testing, chiller operations, boiler systems, and assessment of equipment operation.
- Performs water transfers and mixing salt.
- Performs backwashing of life support filters.
- As assigned, performs preventive maintenance and repairs to both base building and life support equipment with a minimum amount of disruption
- Works with the Operators and Exhibit leads to schedule equipment being taken off-line so that preventive maintenance and repairs can be performed.
- Completes the preventive maintenance task sheet.
- Installs, repairs, and rebuilds base building systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. In addition to the position requirements below, a list of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position can be found in the Competency Model associated to this position and attached as an appendix to this document. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent. (For internal candidates, must consistently receive a “meets expectations” job performance review.)
- Minimum of two years’ experience in industrial repair and maintenance.
- Minimum of one year mechanical maintenance or electrical system maintenance and repair experience or educational equivalent
- Intermediate computer skills required
- Lift up to 75 pounds
- Climb ladders
- Use power tools
- Kneel / Bend
- We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).