A Senior Keeper at Miami Seaquarium will be responsible for the care and display of Tropical Birds, Manatees and Sea Turtles living in exhibits throughout the park as well as being a resource for the Animal Care Department staff. The senior keeper must act as a role model for the Animal Care staff. The primary responsibilities will include working as assigned in any of the exhibits or areas. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring all work environments are safe and any safety concerns are reported immediately.
- Maintain open and professional communication with departments that interface with the Animal Care Department.
- Ensure a quality experience and accurate information given during presentations and guest encounters by active participation and feedback to the team.
- Function as a team player, showing trust and mutual respect for all members on the team.
- Uphold the highest standards of courtesy and conduct.
- Respond to all animal and operational emergencies as required.
- Demonstrate and train staff on proper restraint techniques for large and small animals in collection.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of animal care including diets, water preferences, scientific nomenclature, range, habits, and compatibilities.
- Train keepers in all areas of animal care, animal rehabilitation and daily operations.
- Act as mentor to new keepers and teach them assigned tasks.
- Give feedback to keepers through frequent critiques in an informal setting as well as during one on one meetings.
- Assist management with administrative tasks such as scheduling, ordering supplies and payroll.
- Perform leading roles in the hiring of new keepers and interns.
- Perform leading role in exhibit projects such as renovation, repairs or modifications.
- Perform leading roles during on site animal procedures and moves.
- Apply animal training techniques to improve the health and welfare of the animal collection, and to meet program needs.
- Perform a leading role in animal interactions ensuring a safe and excellent guest experience.
- Provide accurate and informative interpretations of animal exhibits to guests by performing formal and informal discussions and/or tours.
- Perform leadership functions as assigned.
- Represent Miami Seaquarium at industry conferences by presenting work that contributes to the aquarium and zoological industry.
- College degree in Marine/Life Science or related field, or commensurate experience.
- 4+ years of experience working as a keeper at an accredited animal aquarium or zoo (HC or AZA).
- Demonstrated knowledge of Avian, Manatee and/or Sea Turtle biology, nutrition, natural history and behavior.
- Demonstrated specialty in Animal Care that has improved the aquarium exhibits, animal husbandry, etc.
- Proven experience with habitat maintenance, animal food preparation & nutrition requirements, general husbandry practices and animal restraint/capture techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of animal medications, their administration and knowledge of quarantine procedures.
- Proven experience with performing animal interactions with guests.
- Demonstrated excellent animal observation and record keeping skills.
- Demonstrated professional presentation and communication skills to both guests and fellow keepers.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to recognize and correct minor and major challenges with little direction from Supervisor.
- Possess the characteristics of a role model that demonstrate the highest standards of professionalism, knowledge and teamwork.
- Availability to work full time, 40hrs per week, this may include working weekends and holidays. Must be able to move/ lift up to 50lbs on a daily basis.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume to the Animal Care Manager: Julie Heyde JHeyde@msq.cc