Minimum Job Requirements:
- Must be willing to consistently provide guest service above and beyond Mystic Aquarium’s expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline preferred
- Two years paid professional experience with care and training of marine mammals, or
- Equivalent of four years’ experience
- Multi-lingual, Spanish preferred
- Experience working with and training California sea lions preferred
- Public presentation experience and comfort speaking on microphone required
- Formal presentation experience or background in performing arts preferred
- Strong communication and teamwork skills required.
- SCUBA certification and the ability to pass a dive physical required.
- Requires schedule flexibility, evenings/weekends/holidays, and overtime.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide technology service and performance exceeding Mystic Aquarium’s target expectations.
- Care for and maintain marine mammal and penguin collection and exhibits.
- Present public and classroom demonstrations educating public with approved Institutional information.
- Perform in approved scripted theatrical shows with sea lions
- Participate in and receive coaching and feedback on stage performance skills
- Execute routine husbandry procedures to maintain federal, state and institutional guidelines.
- Act as mentor and role model for assistant trainers.
- Foster customer service and teamwork with all departments at MA
- Keep proper records.
- Participate in planning and training of assigned species.
- Maintain consistent professional attitude, motivation, and ability to accept feedback.
- Work in cold, hot, wet, indoor and outdoor environment.
- Interpret Marine Mammal and Bird habitats, educating guests, and monitoring guest and animal safety.
- Perform regular scuba diving maintenance on animal habitats.
- Monitor operation of life support systems.
- Hands on work involving rehabilitation of stranded marine mammals as needed.
- Participate in development of husbandry techniques and practices.
- Work with other staff to fulfill area and facility programming needs.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Work in a safe manner at all times.
- Properly use and keep, in good order, all personal protective equipment (PPE) supplied to them as protection from recognized hazards.
- Report any unsafe condition
Must have a working knowledge of all Facility wide, and Department specific, safety procedures that relate to their position, including, but not limited to: Emergency Evacuation, Lockdown Procedure, and Fire Extinguisher Use.
Sea Research Foundation, Inc. (dba Mystic Aquarium) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.