Take your career to new depths and put your skills to work in a one of a kind setting by becoming a part of the premiere aquarium showcasing the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea. The Texas State Aquarium provides high quality, entertaining programming through education, conservation, and wildlife rehabilitation. We strive to provide our guests with an exciting, educational, and memorable experience.
- Assist with the medical care and treatment of animals at the Texas State Aquarium and the TSA Wildlife Rescue Center, including diagnostic sample collection, processing, and banking; diagnostic image acquisition (digital radiography, CT); and medication administration for active cases.
- Implement anesthetic protocols to induce, monitor, and recover animals from sedation and/or general anesthesia.
- Assist with ultrasonography, endoscopy, and surgical procedures.
- Use Tracks medical recordkeeping software for data entry of anesthesia records, prescriptions, lab results, and necropsy data.
- Perform necropsy examination and submit samples for histopathology.
- Maintain updated pharmaceutical inventory, including ordering supplies, submitting purchase orders, and tracking spending.
- Help train veterinary and veterinary technology students as well as new staff members and volunteers.
- Constantly grow clinical skills and knowledge by participating in weekly book chapter review, continuing education opportunities, and occasional travel for offsite training.
- Licensure as a licensed veterinary technician with the state of Texas is required, with either an associate’s or bachelor's degree in veterinary technology.
- 2 years of professional experience working with exotic animals in the Aquarium or Zoo field is preferred.
OTHER RELEVANT JOB INFORMATION:
This position offers an attractive benefits/vacation package including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan with a 100% match of the first 5% contributed.