The veterinary externship program at Texas State Aquarium is designed for veterinary students to observe and assist veterinary staff in day-to-day operation of the veterinary clinics at both the main aquarium and wildlife rescue center.
- Observe and/or assist with veterinary procedures and monitor patients during anesthetic events as approved by veterinary staff.
- Collect, or assist with collection of, biological samples from husbandry collection and rehabilitation animals.
- Observe and/or Assist with the collection of diagnostic images (radiographs, ultrasound, computed tomography, endoscopy).
- Process laboratory samples in-house and/or package for submission to outside laboratories.
- Enter medical record data, including laboratory results, anesthesia reports, necropsy findings, and others as requested.
- Maintain hospital by helping with cleaning and organizing of equipment and facility.
- Assist with the medical care and treatment of animals in rehabilitation.
- Perform necropsies as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide exceptional guest service.
- Adhere to all OSHA regulations.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures. Report all unsafe work practices to supervisor and/or Human Resources.
- Adhere to all government/AZA policies regarding acquisition, husbandry, records, and animal health.
- Abide by all TSA Policies and Procedures as outlined in the Volunteer Manual.
- Adhere to all TSA Animal Husbandry Policies and Procedures as outlined in the Animal Husbandry Manual.
Must be enrolled in an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician/technology program and have at least 1 year of experience in the veterinary field, preferably working with exotic animals and/or in the zoo/aquarium field or in wildlife rehabilitation.