Volunteers play an integral role in supporting operations at New England Aquarium. Our volunteers engage in departments across the Aquarium contributing their time to assist with everything from diving in the Giant Ocean Tank to supporting our Rescue team and Membership department. They are an integral part of our culture and serve as ambassadors for our mission and the important work we do.
The Volunteer Engagement Specialist recruits and screens applicants for volunteer positions and facilitates the placement and onboarding process. The Specialist serves as a resource to active volunteers, interns, and Aquarium staff providing guidance, support, and opportunities for deepening engagement with our mission.
This is a full-time regular position offering a comprehensive benefits package. The schedule will be Sunday – Thursday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm with the option for a hybrid schedule, working up to two weekdays remotely. Remote days are only available for residents of MA, RI, NH, ME, NY, and VT.
- Identifies recruitment sources and leads volunteer recruitment outreach activities and postings.
- Reviews up to 100 volunteer applications and interviews 30-50 applicants each month.
- Responds to a high volume of telephone and email inquiries from potential volunteers and interns in a timely fashion providing superior customer service.
- Maintains a high level of knowledge about departments and jobs at the Aquarium. Identifies appropriate candidates for open volunteer and intern positions and presents them to the department for consideration
- Maintains effective partnerships and communications with departments ensuring an efficient and timely volunteer placement process. Provides ongoing support to Aquarium staff.
- Collaborates with the team in maintaining, modifying, and utilizing the Salesforce volunteer database by streamlining procedures, managing systems updates, pulling reports, designing data visualizations and impact communication materials to better tell the story of service and career exploration at the Aquarium.
- Coordinates and contributes to ongoing communications, newsletters, and social media efforts relating to volunteers & interns.
- Conducts orientation for new volunteers and interns and completes the onboarding process.
- Administers Aquarium Membership for volunteers and interns. Serves as liaison with the Membership staff. Responds to inquiries and resolves related issues.
- Contributes to the volunteer website, MS Teams site, and online recruitment platforms for volunteer programs.
- Collaborates with the team in planning and implementing events and meetings.
- Assists with the screening, placement, and onboarding of one-shot volunteers and internship candidates.
- Creates and distributes volunteer and intern identification cards and uniforms.
- Performs other position-related duties as required.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Associate's degree and two years of related experience or four years of relevant work experience in volunteer administration, human resources, event management, hospitality, museum studies, adult development, or education.
- Experience managing a high volume of incoming and outgoing communication in a Human Resources or Customer Service setting.
- Experience screening, interviewing, and onboarding with proven results in equitable and inclusive hiring practices, preferred.
- Experience tracking, analyzing, and maintaining high volumes of data in a database system.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with a broad range of people in a customer service-related capacity.
- Effective communicator verbally and in writing; ability to adapt tone and style for diverse audiences and modes of communication. Experience writing in a business setting.
- Highly organized; able to set priorities, develop work plans, monitor progress toward goals, and track details in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills (experience with MS Office, Mail Chimp, and online databases such as Salesforce preferred).
- Experience using technology for designing innovative visual presentations and communications materials.
- Demonstrated ability to function and relate effectively in culturally diverse situations and forge relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- A commitment to and interest in promoting and participating in diversity-related efforts.
New England Aquarium is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
- 2 years